St Chad’s Cathedral was designed by the architect Augustus Welby Northmoor Pugin in the Victorian Gothic style and was consecrated and opened for worship in 1841. The Cathedral’s patron, St Chad, was born in Northumbria and became a monk under St Aidan on the island of Lindisfarne. He subsequently became the bishop of Lichfield where he became famous for his hard work in spreading the Gospel and helping the poor. He was a humble man who chose to travel everywhere on foot and the story goes that Archbishop Theodore had to persuade him to ride by lifting him bodily on to a horse. He died of the plague in 672 and pilgrims soon began coming to his grave in Lichfield. Eventually his bones (or relics) were transferred from the graveyard to a magnificent tomb in Lichfield Cathedral and his shrine became one of the great centres of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages.